Art gives students the opportunity to explore visual, tactile and other sensory experiences to communicate ideas and meanings. They work with traditional and new media, developing confidence, competence, imagination and creativity. They learn to appreciate and value images and artefacts across times and cultures, and to understand the contexts in which they were made. Students are encouraged to reflect critically on their own and other people’s work, judging quality, value and meaning. Art and Design is a popular choice for students in GCSE. The GCSE course encourages an adventurous and enquiring approach. Students learn to think and act as artists, craftspeople and designers, working creatively and intelligently. Drama and Dance are taught to every student throughout Years 7, 8 and 9.
- to encourage our students to think and behave creatively
- to enable them to examine issues and emotions from perspectives other than their own
- to help students develop practical skills
- to foster an appreciation and understanding of drama as an art form
- to encourage critical, reflective thinking at every level
- to assist in developing confident, co-operative and self-disciplined young people.